Jade West is one of the main characters in the Nickelodeon TV show Victorious. She originally served as an antagonist to the titular character, Tori Vega, but overall, she is still treated as a member of Tori's gang of friends.
She is portrayed by Elizabeth Gillies.
Jade's childhood has been noted to be an unhappy one on a few occasions throughout the series. She says that the ice cream reminds her of it, and that her favorite toy was a hammer (Ice Cream for Ke$ha).
She was friends with Andre Harris, Robbie Shapiro, Cat Valentine, and Beck Oliver since at least 2008, where they formed an official ping pong team at Hollywood Arts High School. (The Great Ping Pong Scam) She and Beck also began dating at some point this year (Jade Dumps Beck).
Appearance and Personality Edit
- Eye Color: Blue-Green
- Hair Color: Brown (Season 1); black (Season 2); dark brown (Seasons 3 and 4)
- Trademark: Piercings, tattoos, and colored streaks in hair.
Jade has a Gothic sense of style, and aside from her dark, occasionally laced clothing she wears dark makeup and paints her nails black as well. The jewelry she wears is designed by real life artist Dre Swain, and she also wears dark red Doc Martens and black combat boots. She carries a Gears of War messenger bag. Jade also has multiple streaks in her hair that change color periodically. In season one her streaks in her brown hair are at first pink, blonde and light blue before going red for the rest of the season.
Jade has a very prickly personality; she is known for being sassy, dark, and sarcastic to those around her. Jade has a 'thing' for scissors, first shown in Wi-Fi in the Sky as her username on TheSlap is 'ScissorLuv'. Her locker is also decorated with numerous scissors. She also takes interest in pain (Cat's New Boyfriend), a lump of fat (Rex Dies), monkey fur, and blood (Freak the Freak Out (episode), and likes to pretend she's been captured by witches and is being made into human soup while in hot tubs (IParty with Victorious).
Jade is jealous, often insatiable, mean and rude to many people. She sometimes shows authority and control at Hollywood Arts, yelling at others and even using physical force at times (although she does not fight; she retaliates in way "that will make [someone] sad for a long time". She is very jealous and possessive of her boyfriend Beck, protecting him from others that have a seem interested in him even as friends. Despite her tough attitude, she can get freaked out by a few things, revealed by her horrified reaction to a dog attacking who she thought to be Beck (Jade Dumps Beck), freaking out when Sinjin broke into her house (Wi-Fi in the Sky), crying when she learned she was sweating for the first time (Survival of the Hottest), Sikowitz scaring her multiple times (iParty with Victorious).
Jade fits the stereotype of a "bad girl" much more than a "mean girl". She is very rebellious, as she doesn't like being told what to do and often points out that she's doing something because she wants to, not because someone told her to (for instance, she got her piercings 45 minutes after her mother said no to Jade), and often claims that she is only doing something because she wants to and not because someone tells her to (The Great Ping Pong Scam).
Jade is a hardworking student at Hollywood Arts, where she dedicates her time to writing, acting, and singing. She seems to favor script writing, as she writes the play Well Wishes in Wok Star and manages to get it produced with the help of Tori. She seems to prefer to star in works she both writes and directs.
It is shown throughout the series that Jade can be quite insecure, which may be part of the reason she is so rude towards people. For example, she has often assumed that Beck was cheating on her; she was devastated when she briefly broke up with him and he wouldn't take her back, and didn't want anyone "cool" to see her crying (Jade Dumps Beck). She also seems to be worried about her father's opinion of her hopes and dreams and went to great lengths to make him enjoy her play "Well Wishes" in Wok Star. She also competed with the rest of the gang to get the most followers on The Slap to maintain popularity and dominance.
Jade often helps solves the group's challenge. Even before Tori (and even Trina Vega) joined the gang, she still solved problems, an example of this is in The Great Ping Pong Scam. In her profile video on The Slap, she describes herself as smart and deep.
Jade hates many things for various reasons, as reflected in her TheSlap segment, What I Hate, but she also has two episodes of these segments titled "What I Love", because she does not want to be predictable.
Although Jade seems tough and scary at times, she has been proven to only be very intimidating and she lost her only physical altercation with someone other than Tori. (The Wood)
Relationships with Other Characters Edit
Beck Oliver Edit
|"Jade: You love me again.|
Beck: Who said I stopped?" — An exchange between Jade and Beck in Jade Dumps Beck
Tori Vega Edit
|"Dude, why are you rubbing my boyfriend?"
— Jade to Tori in Pilot
Regardless to say, however, Tori and Jade are enemies at times and at times they are also friends. So, let's just say they two girls have a strong sense of the relationship, 'frenemy' but we can't say they aren't friends because they do act like it. (See: Jori)
Cat Valentine Edit
(2008-present: Best Friend)
|"Cat: We're hanging out together!|
Jade: NO!" — An exchange between Cat and Jade in André's Horrible Girl
It seems that Cat knows Jade rather well, as she managed to get Jade a Christmas present she liked. It should be noted that Jade's attitude towards Cat changes depending on the episode or her mood. (See: Cade)
André Harris Edit
(2008-present: Close Friend)
"And... that's for you."Jade doesn't seem to have a problem with André. They have been friends for at least two years as revealed in The Great Ping Pong Scam. They eat at the same table and talk amongst the same group of people. She does get annoyed by André from time to time, as shown in Beck's Big Break when she is annoyed by him when he is playing music on his keyboard, so she knocked the batteries out of it. On the other hand they seem to be pretty nice to each other, as seen in The Diddly-Bops, where Jade was among the ones trying to console André about losing his record deal. She even pulls Rex's arm off for joking about his situation.
Robbie Shapiro Edit
|"Robbie: I'll go get you some ice.|
Jade: Sit down!" — An exchange between Robbie and Jade in Terror on Cupcake Street
Trina Vega Edit
|"No one likes you!"
— Jade shouting to Trina, as shown twice in Survival of the Hottest
Jade has barely interacted with Trina so far, but she appears to hate her. In Jade Dumps Beck, Trina gives her a flyer advertising her one-woman show. Jade responds by crumpling up the flier and stuffing it down Trina's shirtfront. In Survival of the Hottest, Jade yells bluntly to Trina twice that no one likes her. Also, when Tori asked Jade what she thought she should get Trina for her birthday, she replied wittily "talent", making it clear that she doesn't think Trina has any talent, which is probably what most people would say in the matter.
Erwin Sikowitz Edit
|"Ah, Jade... so sweet and feminine."
— Sikowitz, sarcastically talking about Jade as shown in Helen Back Again
Jade claims that Sikowitz is her favorite teacher in her video profile on TheSlap, and mostly participates in his activities. During "Locked Up!" she is the first to react/run over to greet "their favorite teacher". Sikowitz doesn't really have a relationship with her, although he calls her to be in an improv scene in the "Pilot" and randomly calls on her to be in a Drive-By Acting Exercise, which annoyed her but she did it anyway. Jade was also part of the Diddly-Bops, a children's group that Sikowitz put together for his roommate's son's birthday party. Jade was also the first to comment about Sikowitz's TheSlap page. In "Sleepover at Sikowitz's", Jade is the first to volunteer to go to Sikowitz's house. Sikowitz always says phrases that start with "Ah, Jade..." giving her an advice or making a comment about her personality. (See: Jikowitz)
Sinjin Van Cleef Edit
— Jade to Sinjin in Jade Dumps Beck
Sinjin has a massive crush on Jade, but she dislikes him very much. In Jade Dumps Beck, when Sinjin heard that Jade dumped Beck, Sinjin told her, "Want one [boyfriend]?" Jade responded, "Walk away." and he did so quickly. Also, when the news of Jade and Beck splitting spread, Sinjin and his friend made an attempt to sit with her at lunch, until Jade merely (and loudly) said, NO and the two walked away. In "Tori the Zombie", Jade said his mother gave birth to the wrong thing. Sinjin was also shown to be in Jade's house, obviously without permission much to Jade's annoyance in "Wi-Fi in the Sky". On TheSlap, he talks about Jade and even writes her poems. This may show he has an unhealthy obsession with her. In Wok Star he helped her with set design. When he tried to talk to her about different kinds of moss to use for the set, she compared it with his hair. He then continued to speak to Jade, which annoyed her and she commanded him to "Go." Before she even finished the word he took off running, showing he always does what she says and greatly respects her (despite him breaking into her house). Tori said it made pee run down his leg. In a video on "The Slap" Sinjin made puppets of him and Jade. He acted as if Jade was in love with him and wanted to dump Beck so she could go out with him. Jade walks into the room to see Sinjin and calmly tells him that is not okay. (See: Sade)
Jade's relationships with her family are known to be terrible. According to her, her father "hates [her] guts", has called the cops on her, thinks that all of her creative desires are stupid, and she wants to show him that he is wrong. She seems to disrespect her mother and has called her "stupid" quite a few times.
Jade's PearProducts Edit
- Red PearPhone XT
- Red PearBook 4
Season One Edit
Give It Up (withCat) (Freak the Freak Out)
Solos in a Group Number Edit
|Episode:||Song:||Sing Also With:|
|The Diddly-Bops||Favorite Food||Tori, Cat and Robbie|
Unreleased Songs Edit
Season One Edit
Forever Baby(with Tori) (The Wood)
- Robbie's Big Toe
- Singer: Robbie
- Back Up With: Tori
- Strangers on a Bus
- Singer: Robbie
- Back Up With: Cat
Jade's Quotes Edit
- Dude! Why are you rubbing my boyfriend? (Pilot)
- 'X' marks the spot I'd like to punch! (Pilot)
- Please go run in front of a bus! (Pilot)
- Can't wait for our fight....scene. (Stage Fighting)
- But the most surprising part of the play happened at the end, when the monster gouged out Priscilla's eyes, which for whatever reason, I found really funny. Questions? (The Birthweek Song)
- And what does it say? Maybe, "Hi Beck! My daddy just got richer and I got prettier, let's make out!" (Jade Dumps Beck)
- Beck's always saying how he wants a dog. Uh, a rottenheimer! (Jade Dumps Beck)
- Because, I don't want anyone who's cool to see me like this! (Jade Dumps Beck)
- Walk away (Jade to Sinjin in Jade Dumps Beck)
- No! Fifteen years ago, your mother gave birth to the wrong thing! (Tori the Zombie)
- Is it a transporter from the future that can beam you to another table, because if it is, what button do I push?! (Robarazzi)
- No one likes you! (Jade to Trina in various episodes)
- Having fun there? (Survival of the Hottest)
- Okay, something's dripping on me. Something's dripping on me! What's going on, what's happening?!(Survival of the Hottest)
- "I'm not going away, and you can't just say no." "No, No, No, No, No, No, NO!" (Tori and Jade, The Great Ping Pong Scam)
- Read the phone Tori, read the phone! (The Great Ping Pong Scam)
- I'm bored now. (Cat's New Boyfriend)
- So, why did you dump her? (Cat's New Boyfriend)
- Tori, come out to plaaaay! (Cat's New Boyfriend)
- Enjoy my monkey fur! (Freak the Freak Out)
- Yeah! We're clapping because it's over! (Freak the Freak Out)
- If someone was pushed off this catwalk, and they landed on the floor really hard, do you think they'd live?(Rex Dies)
- We did this for money! (The Diddly-Bops)
- I write what I feel! (The Diddly-Bops)
- Here, I'll playfully punch your arm as if we were friends. (Wok Star)
- NOO!!! (various episodes)
- Ducks, man I hate ducks! (The Wood)
- Janitor's car, feel the wrath! (The Wood)
- And, he keeps deleting all my very creative negative comments! (A Film by Dale Squires)
- Even I feel bad! (A Film by Dale Squires)
- Well! Aren't you two having a fun time eating raisin bran together? Just be careful Mr. British Man, because who knows what terrible things might happen to you if that continues. (Sleepover at Sikowitz's)
- MOVE THIS CAR!!! (Sleepover at Sikowitz's)
- Jade loves the sound of breaking glass.
- Jade has the words "ENNUI" and "REVENGE" on the walls of her room.
- Jade has broken the law many times, but hasn't gotten into trouble, such as in Sleepover at Sikowitz's.
- Jade's locker is next to Robbie's locker.
- Jade and Tori are the only girls to have colored highlights.
- Jade also sometimes mixes her highlights (Purple and Blue on Pilot andiParty with Victorious).
- Jade is the only person to have a lot of dislikes (as mentioned on The Wood).
- Jade has a black purse made out of monkey fur (Freak the Freak Out).
- Jade has a black purse made out of monkey fur (Freak the Freak Out).
- Jade is possibly a masochist, as she was disappointed that the feet smoothing wouldn't hurt her, wanted Tori to slap her with a sausage (Cat's New Boyfriend), said she would love it if she exploded (Survival of the Hottest), and was disappointed that getting a haircut didn't hurt (post from TheSlap.com). She has posted "This is a crisis. My day's completely ruined. Just found out that song 'Killing Me Softly' is actually a really sweet song." (on TheSlap.com).
- Jade was called a "gank" three times in the episode "Freak the Freak Out" by Tori, André, and Mr. Sikowitz.
- According to The Wood, it is shown that Jade (and Tori) know[s] how to speak and sing the song "Forever Baby" in Spanish when she and Tori push Festus home in a wheelbarrow.
- In Jade Dumps Beck, Jade says her favorite tropical fruit is the mango.
- She appears to have a liking for butterflies, based on the fact that she has a collection of dead butterflies in her room and has been shown to have a black notebook with pink butterflies on it. However, these could also be moths, which are thought to be much more dark than butterflies, as they are nocturnal and occasionally an omen of bad luck.
- Jade loves to drink coffee and drinks it black with two sugars. She is often seen holding a cup of it at the beginning of an episode. Jade says she loves coffee so much that she wants to marry a man that is "like coffee", in her What I Love video on TheSlap.com.
- In Wok Star Jade shows a nice, respectful attitude towards Mrs. Lee until she tries to change Jade's play and ideas. This shows Jade can be completely hostile-free towards people until they tick her off.
- Jade likes blood, as seen in Freak the Freak Out; Cat asked Tori what was on her arm, and when Tori said it was Trina's mouth blood, Jade said, "Cool," with fascination.
- She hates birthdays, except her own.
- Surprisingly, she doesn't seem to mind shopping, However according to Beck, she only likes to try on black clothing. However, she doesn't really like Black Friday.
- Jade is one of the four main characters (with Tori, Robbie, and André) who have never been absent for an episode.
- In Wi-Fi in the Sky, there is a shot of Jade's laptop. It has a spiderweb with a spider coming down from it as a decal. The wallpaper was a raven.
- She used to spend Thanksgiving with Beck and once made his family cry by saying grace before dinner.
- Even though Jade is assumed to be the toughest, she has cried twice on the show; once when Beck would not get back together with her (Jade Dumps Beck), and once when she realized she was sweating for the first time (Survival of the Hottest).
- She is able to compose song lyrics.
- According to Beck's New Year's Eve status update of 2011, Jade calls New Year's Eve parties "Death of[insert number of the past years] parties".
- She doesn't go in the ocean because she is afraid of dolphins, due to a traumatic experience she had
- According to a picture on TheSlap, she likes older guys.
- According to one of her Slap updates, she had to wear a pink dress for a role, and apparently quit because of it.
- She also does not like having hair cut. For her, it is such a waste of time. (Said so on TheSlap)
- Jade seems to be rather fond of licorice since she cuts off a pretty long piece of Cat's "bra-candy" for herself whilst not paying much attention to how long the others' (Beck and André) pieces are. In addition she smiles and pleasurably chews on it. In addition she seems to have a sweet tooth in general. As mentioned on the show she drinks her coffee with two sugars Tori offered her a muffin in Car, Rain & Fire, she didn't hesitate in accepting the offer opposing to her usually skeptical personality.
- Out of all the characters, she has the third most amount of fans on TheSlap, behind Cat and Tori. She has over a million fans.
- Her favorite Hollywood Arts teacher is Sikowitz according to TheSlap.
- In Stage Fighting, a girl who accidentally threw a cup of water at her begged her, "Please don´t destroy me socially!" This implies Jade is rather high on the social hierarchy of Hollywood Arts.
- In Survival of the Hottest, Jade claims she doesn't sweat. She sweats for the first time ever when they are all stuck in Beck´s RV with a temperature of 110 degrees. She denies it at first, but when Beck yells at her and tells her that she really is sweating, she starts to cry. It is assumed she hasn't sweated knowingly until this incident.
- In Wi-Fi in the Sky, it is shown she has several things in jars in her room. One may be the lump of fat she got from a doctor in Rex Dies.
- She likes locking herself in the bathroom, turning off the lights, and just sitting there.
- In the What Jade Loves! video, she says that she loves bunnies.